Loving what you do for a living certainly improves your odds at succeeding. At least, that was the case for Tim Kegel, a Louisville-based bloodstock agent, who has certainly had his share of success.
Polytrack seems to be to the liking of Edward Seltzer's Verdana Bold, as the 3-year-old filly won for the second time in as many starts on the synthetic surface, this time in the $259,300 Selene Stakes (Can-III) May 18 at Woodbine.
Charles Laloggia's Officer Cherrie, the lone graded stakes winner in a field of nine 3-year-old fillies, seems to have an edge in the $250,000 Selene Stakes (Can-III) May 18 at Woodbine.
Even-money choice Officer Cherrie, making her first start around two turns, rallied from just off the pace to capture the $247,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup (Can-III) at Woodbine for her third consecutive victory Sept. 29.
Although breaking her maiden last time out after moving up in a disqualification, technically, She's the Umpire has never finished first in five career starts. Normally sending a 2-year-old filly out in graded stakes competition would be a lot to ask under those circumstances. However, that did not stop trainer Ian Howard from taking a shot in the $175,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) at Woodbine Sept. 29, a 1 1/16-mile event for juvenile fillies.
Trainer Mark Casse, Canada's reigning Sovereign Award conditioner, has the $150,000 Natalma Stakes (Can-III) for 2-year-old fillies well surrounded with four entered Sept. 9 on the Woodbine lawn. His entries include undefeated Lickety Lemon, the 9-5 morning line favorite.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Pegasus Workers Drill Across Florida
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Chrome and Arrogate: Who to Root For?
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Grade 3 Winner Chitu Sires First Foal
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm