The Michigan House and Senate are scrambling to find alternative funds for the Office of Racing Commissioner after a government order given the week of May 11 wiped out all the funds for Thoroughbred programs in order to pay state debts.
After some negotiations with different Thoroughbred groups, it appears Pinnacle Race Course near Detroit, Mich. may survive after all.
Michigan Governor John Engler moved quickly Friday, appointing R. Robert Geake as the state's racing commissioner.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires