The Michigan House and Senate are scrambling to find alternative funds for the Office of Racing Commissioner after a government order given the week of May 11 wiped out all the funds for Thoroughbred programs in order to pay state debts.
After some negotiations with different Thoroughbred groups, it appears Pinnacle Race Course near Detroit, Mich. may survive after all.
Michigan Governor John Engler moved quickly Friday, appointing R. Robert Geake as the state's racing commissioner.
Most Popular Stories
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Tonalist Begins Push for Eclipse Award
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- Sky Kingdom Returns to 1 1/2 Miles in Cougar
- A Timeline for Synthetic Racing Surfaces
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- Haskin: No More 'What Ifs' With Wise Dan
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets