The upcoming meet at Pinnacle Race Course in Michigan will be cut in half under an executive order issued June 2 by Michigan's racing commissioner, Christine White.
- By Tom LaMarra
Michigan's horseracing industry, already reeling from decreases in revenue and the possible closure of Great Lakes Downs after this season, is facing an Oct. 1 shutdown should the state legislature fail to approve a budget.
Jockey Roberto Perez, who allegedly bet an Oct. 4 race at Great Lakes Downs and left the horse he rode off the tickets, was suspended for seven years and fined $7,000 by stewards in Michigan.
Northville Downs, a harness racetrack in Detroit's western suburbs, has challenged a decision by the Office of Michigan Racing Commissioner to grant a Thoroughbred license to Magna Entertainment Corp. for its planned Michigan Downs.
Chalk up an added entry in the already crowded field to build a Thoroughbred racetrack in the Detroit metropolitan area.
- By Tom LaMarra
Racing associations in Michigan have requested 734 racing dates in 2003, and among the applicants is EQTAH Group, a new concern headed by Andy Stronach.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Curlin Road Wears Down Hard Aces in Cougar II
- Drefong Set for 2017 Debut in Bing Crosby
- A. P. Indian Seeks Vanderbilt Repeat
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters