Barretts Equine Ltd., based at Fairplex Park in Southern California, doesn't have an October mixed sale listed on its 2009 auction schedule. The struggling American economy and downturns in the Thoroughbred marketplace contributed to the decision not to hold the sale, according to Barretts president and general manager Jerry McMahon, who recently announced his resignation from the company.
Seven racehorses, including 2004 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) winner Tronare, 2004 Snow Chief Stakes winner Cheiron, and 2003 Forerunner Stakes winner Californian, have been supplemented to the catalogue for the Barretts October mixed sale.
The Barretts October mixed sale ended its two-day run Tuesday in Southern California with a 10% decline in gross revenue even though the number of horses sold increased significantly.
Nanogram, a 6-year-old daughter of Quiet American, brought $72,000 Monday to top the opening session of the Barretts October mixed sale at Fairplex Park in Southern California. Sheila O'Callaghan purchased the bay mare from Mary Knight, agent.
The Barretts October mixed sale will be the largest in the Southern California sale company's history with 782 horses catalogued.
The Barretts October mixed sale has 630 horses in its catalogue. The auction will be conducted Oct. 28 and 29 in Southern California.
The middle market held steady and the number sold rose, but the Barretts October mixed sale experienced decreases gross revenue and average price from a year ago.
Lady Cara, a 3-year-old winning daughter of Prized, brought the top price of $42,000 at the Barretts October mixed sale in Southern California on Monday. She was purchased by StanleyFulton from Havens Bloodstock Agency, agent for J.Z. Stock Farm.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?