Apprentice Octavio Antonio Vergara Jr. won the first race of his career July 26 at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Octavio Vergara ended his career as a jockey with a fourth-place finish aboard Powerofvoodoo in the fourth race Oct. 14 at Santa Anita Park.
The second race at Bay Meadows Feb. 6 was declared a no contest after four of the six horses in the $16,000 maiden claiming event were affected by a spill in deep stretch.
Under 131 pounds, Kashatreya closed through the stretch to win the $111,900 Fall Highweight Handicap (gr. II) Thursday at Aqueduct. With Octavio Vergara in the irons, the 5-year-old New York-bred completed the six furlongs in 1:11.03 over a fast track and paid $19.20, $8.80 and $4.50.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- 'Ghost' Takes on Males in Queen's Plate
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Santa Anita Installs New Turf Course