Apprentice Octavio Antonio Vergara Jr. won the first race of his career July 26 at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Octavio Vergara ended his career as a jockey with a fourth-place finish aboard Powerofvoodoo in the fourth race Oct. 14 at Santa Anita Park.
The second race at Bay Meadows Feb. 6 was declared a no contest after four of the six horses in the $16,000 maiden claiming event were affected by a spill in deep stretch.
Under 131 pounds, Kashatreya closed through the stretch to win the $111,900 Fall Highweight Handicap (gr. II) Thursday at Aqueduct. With Octavio Vergara in the irons, the 5-year-old New York-bred completed the six furlongs in 1:11.03 over a fast track and paid $19.20, $8.80 and $4.50.
Most Popular Stories
- White Passionforfashion Already Turning Heads
- Cozmic One, Full to Uncle Mo Meet at Belmont
- IHRC Report: Truesdail Missed Seven Positives
- Klein Awarded TRA Journalism Scholarship
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- Breeders' Cup Selects Board of Directors
- Wood, Breeder of Favorite Trick, Dies at 81
- Model Approach - By Eric Mitchell
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings