Two noses were all that separated the first three finishers in a desperate finish to Sunday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT). Gulch Approval, ridden by Pat Day, eked out a victory over favored Kathir and Stormy Roman on the grass at Monmouth Park.
Burning Roma and Megantic are expected to highlight Sunday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT), on the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) undercard at Monmouth Park.
Jayeff B Stable's Runspastum lived up to his name as he rallied for an upset victory in Saturday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap at Monmouth Park to give jockey Julian Pimentel a stakes double.
Anstu Stable's Balto Star has developed a very noticeable racing pattern. Since last year, the Todd Pletcher-trained 5-year-old has followed every bad race with a very good race. And, since last out he ran last in the Pimlico Special (gr. I), his rivals in Saturday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth better have their running shoes on.
The upsets at Monmouth Park Sunday continued in the $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT) when Key Lory held off North East Bound and 11 others in the 1 1/16-mile turf race. Sent off at nearly 14-1, Key Lory returned $29.20 for the win.
A synopsis of news and racing briefs.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Rosie Napravnik Announces Retirement
- Tapit Shatters Single-Season Earnings Mark
- Untapable Powers to Breeders' Cup Distaff Win
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Goldencents Posts Repeat in Dirt Mile
- Hootenanny Rallies to Win Juvenile Turf
- Lady Eli Sharp in Juvenile Fillies Turf
- Slideshow: 2014 Breeders' Cup Day 1
- Bob Neumeier Hospitalized After a Stroke
- BC 2014: Friday News Wrap