Mary and Gary West's 5-year-old Florida-bred mare Sweet Lips won the Sunshine Millions Distaff at Santa Anita last year for trainer Bobby Frankel and has been training at Gulfstream since early December for a title defense in Saturday's $500,000 Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff.
The lightly raced Pesci, whose part owner and namesake Joe Pesci is an Academy Award-winning actor, was hit in the right eye by a rock or a clod of dirt during the Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff Saturday at Gulfstream Park.
Overlooked at 74-1 odds, J D Farms' Florida homebred Secret Request split horses in deep stretch and got up for a three-quarter length upset victory in the $500,000 Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff at Gulfstream Park on Saturday.
When entries were drawn Monday morning for the four races that will comprise the Gulfstream Park half of the Sunshine Millions, two of the events drew full 12-horse fields.
Joe Pesci, the Academy Award-winning actor, plans to be at Gulfstream Park on Saturday to watch his namesake, Pesci, compete in the $500,000, 1 1/16-mile Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff on the Sunshine Millions program.
Last year's Sunshine Millions Oaks runner-up Ivanavinalot will try to put a disappointing 2003 campaign behind her when she goes in Saturday's $500,000 Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff at Gulfstream Park.
A total of 130 horses, including several major stakes winners, have been pre-entered for the second running of the $3.6 million Sunshine Million at Gulfstream Park and Santa Anita Park on Jan. 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Woodward Up Next for Frosted
- Lady Eli's Miracle Comeback Looms
- Unbeaten Enola Gray Steps Up in Torrey Pines
- Del Mar to Cut Race Dates, Open Later in 2017
- Majesto Spikes Fever, to Scratch From Travers
- 'Crook' 50th Black-Type Winner for Freud
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator