Retired jockey George Munsell Jr., who competed for more than 40 years, died June 10 in Williston, Fla. He was 73. His win total ranked 184th through June 27.
Veteran Illinois-based trainer Charlie Bettis died June 21 at the age of 62 of natural causes, according to Arlington Park.
Martin Burdett-Coutts, who operated Can-Am Bloodstock, died Dec. 15 in Florida at age 86.
Robert Wehle, well known in Thoroughbred breeding circles for his ownership interest in stallions, died July 12. He was 82.
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%