Retired jockey George Munsell Jr., who competed for more than 40 years, died June 10 in Williston, Fla. He was 73. His win total ranked 184th through June 27.
Veteran Illinois-based trainer Charlie Bettis died June 21 at the age of 62 of natural causes, according to Arlington Park.
Martin Burdett-Coutts, who operated Can-Am Bloodstock, died Dec. 15 in Florida at age 86.
Robert Wehle, well known in Thoroughbred breeding circles for his ownership interest in stallions, died July 12. He was 82.
Most Popular Stories
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test
- Ben's Cat Seeks Third Turf Monster Victory
- Barretts October Yearling Catalog Available
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Texas Racing Commission OKs Instant Racing
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act