Mary Jo Pons, matriarch of Maryland's Country Life Farm and a driving force behind the Radio Reading Network of Maryland, died of natural causes on Monday evening, Jan. 1 at Bright View Assisted Living in Bel Air, Md. She was 87.
Retired equine veterinarian Johnny Kirk Griggs, the owner and trainer of champion steeplechaser Warm Spell, died Oct. 19 in Lexington. He was 84.
Dr. Robert A. Leonard, an equine veterinarian and managing partner in the prominent Glade Valley Farm in Maryland, died Feb. 10 at his residence in Chester, Md., at age 92.
Prominent Virginia Thoroughbred breeder Sam Rogers Jr. died Oct. 27, in Leesburg, Va., at the age of 93.
Retired jockey George Munsell Jr., who competed for more than 40 years, died June 10 in Williston, Fla. He was 73. His win total ranked 184th through June 27.
Veteran Illinois-based trainer Charlie Bettis died June 21 at the age of 62 of natural causes, according to Arlington Park.
Martin Burdett-Coutts, who operated Can-Am Bloodstock, died Dec. 15 in Florida at age 86.
Robert Wehle, well known in Thoroughbred breeding circles for his ownership interest in stallions, died July 12. He was 82.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm