Frank Stronach hopes Giacomo will stimulate the Oregon breeding industry; Oakhurst Thoroughbreds gets its second Kentucky Derby winner at stud.
Grindstone was an unheralded colt who never grabbed the public's attention. He served notice, however, that 3-year-olds capable of a strong run down the longest stretch in the nation should not be disregarded.
Grindstone, the first Kentucky Derby winner to stand in the state of Oregon, will see several of his 2-year-olds make their debuts on Oregon Championship Day Nov. 17 at Portland Meadows.
Understatement, a dual stakes-winning son of Distorted Humor and $1,050,000 Keeneland September yearling, has been retired to stallion duty at Oakhurst Thoroughbreds in Newburg, Oregon.
Sweet Saga proved extra special for her sire, Oregon stallion Slew's Saga. The 2-year-old filly became the first winner for her first-crop sire when she captured the Barbara Shinpoch Stakes.
Seattle Shamus, whose :20.96 is believed to be the fastest opening quarter-mile ever run at Santa Anita, will enter stud at Dr. Jack Root's Oakhurst Thoroughbreds near Newberg, Ore.
Abstract, one of Oregon's leading sires, has relocated to Cross Country Ranch near Lapine, Ore.
Timber Legend, a half-brother to two grade I winners, and Unbridled's Comet, a $1.9 million Keeneland July yearling, have been retired from racing and will enter stud at Dr. Jack Root's Oakhurst Thoroughbreds near Newberg, Ore.
First-crop sire Danjur was represented by his first winner Friday at Louisiana Downs when Dandy Princess won the track's ninth race, a 4 1/2-furlong maiden race for 2-year-old fillies. On Sunday, Danjur's half-brother -- Godolphin's Essence of Dubai -- won in his career debut at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training