A striking son of Tapit and a half brother to grade I winner Justin Phillip was sold for $1.2 million as the first seven-figure offering during the Sept. 12 fourth session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Justin Phillip proved his class Aug. 4 at Saratoga Race Course, taking the $400,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt (gr. I) with a determined late run over Bahamian Squall and Gentlemen's Bet.
Starlight Racing's undefeated Algorithms, retired from racing earlier this month, will enter stud in 2013 at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky.
Starlight Racing's grade III winner Algorithms, winner of all three career starts, has been retired following the recurrence of an injury that knocked the son of Bernardini off the Triple Crown Trail earlier this year.
Letting Algorithms get his way hurt his yearling price, but he's rewarded his breeder and the farm that raised him with his racing success.
Algorithms overtook juvenile champion Hansen approaching mid-stretch en route to an easy victory in the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park, handing the odds-on favorite the first defeat of his career.
A Bernardini--Ava Knowsthecode colt consigned by Valkyre Stud as Hip No. 565 was bought by John Ferguson for $625,000 during the early portion of the Sept. 14 fourth session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Zayat Stables' Justin Phillip scored a front-running victory in the seven-furlong Woody Stephens Stakes (gr. II) on the Belmont Stakes undercard.
Successful Mission parlayed a ground-saving trip into his first graded stakes win, resisting favored Voodoo Swinge in the final strides by a neck in the $125,000 Miami Mile Handicap (gr. IIIT) on turf at Calder.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- CDI Gets 5-Year Contract with Saratoga Casino
- Colorado Voters to Decide on Racino Gaming
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales