Saturday's $125,000 Matiara Stakes at Hollywood Park will have a decidedly international feel to it, as seven of the 10 scheduled starters were bred outside the United States.
With Belmont Park's Fall Championship Meet winding down, local racing fans will see fewer Bobby Frankel trainees compete in a New York stakes race. But before Frankel's horses head west, three will compete in Monday's $100,000 Pebbles Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 mile on a special Columbus Day card at Belmont Park.
Nunatall took the lead with a furlong to go Monday and then held off two challengers for a head victory over Smok'n Frolic in the $115,000 Lake George Stakes at Saratoga Race Course.
It took nine days, but trainer Bobby Frankel notched his first stakes win of the year when Megahertz rallied from the back of the field to win Wednesday's $76,300 Blue Norther Stakes at Santa Anita. Last year, Frankel-trained horses won 49 stakes races, 37 of them graded.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- 'Ghost' Takes on Males in Queen's Plate
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Santa Anita Installs New Turf Course
- Mr. Jordan, Green Gratto Face Off in Salvator