Ellis Park in Henderson, Ky., will host a new handicapping contest with an estimated purse of $300,000 over the Labor Day weekend in 2013.
Defending champion Richard Goodall heads a record field of 301 horseplayers who will gather at Red Rock Casino, Resort and Spa on Jan. 23-24 to vie for horse racing's official title of "Handicapper of the Year" and a first-place prize of $500,000 in the $1 million Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship (NHC).
Stanley Bavlish, a 54-year-old owner of three Subway restaurants from Virginia Beach, Va., earned the $400,000 first place check and the title of "Handicapper of the Year" after defeating 253 fellow Thoroughbred handicappers to win the $836,750 Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship at Bally's Las Vegas on Saturday.
Ron Rippey, who handicaps the Meadowlands and other tracks for the Newark Star-Ledger, captured the $540,000 Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship, a two-day competition at Bally's Las Vegas which concluded on Saturday.
Jamie Michelson Jr., a 39-year-old advertising account director from West Bloomfield, Michigan, connected on a key upset and captured the $200,000 winner's check in the Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship at Bally's Las Vegas on Saturday night.
Most Popular Stories
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer
- Harlan's Holiday Colt Posts Swiftest OBS Work
- Daring Dancer Wins Appalachian With Key Move
- Take Charge Lady Kentucky Broodmare of Year
- Strait of Mewsina Sires First Foal
- European Mark Smashed Again at Tattersalls
- Quality Road's First Starter Scores Easy Win
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records
- Broodmare of the Year Take Charge Lady