Ellis Park in Henderson, Ky., will host a new handicapping contest with an estimated purse of $300,000 over the Labor Day weekend in 2013.
Defending champion Richard Goodall heads a record field of 301 horseplayers who will gather at Red Rock Casino, Resort and Spa on Jan. 23-24 to vie for horse racing's official title of "Handicapper of the Year" and a first-place prize of $500,000 in the $1 million Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship (NHC).
Stanley Bavlish, a 54-year-old owner of three Subway restaurants from Virginia Beach, Va., earned the $400,000 first place check and the title of "Handicapper of the Year" after defeating 253 fellow Thoroughbred handicappers to win the $836,750 Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship at Bally's Las Vegas on Saturday.
Ron Rippey, who handicaps the Meadowlands and other tracks for the Newark Star-Ledger, captured the $540,000 Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship, a two-day competition at Bally's Las Vegas which concluded on Saturday.
Jamie Michelson Jr., a 39-year-old advertising account director from West Bloomfield, Michigan, connected on a key upset and captured the $200,000 winner's check in the Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship at Bally's Las Vegas on Saturday night.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity