Grade II winner Diamond Stripes is the lukewarm favorite among a dozen entered for the $1 million Sunshine Millions Classic at Santa Anita Jan. 26.
Now Victory, sent off at odds of 31-1, skipped away from the field at the start for jockey Frank Alvarado and never looked back, winning the $140,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf without a serious threat Sept. 22.
After back-to-back stakes victories, the hard-trying California-bred Bold Chieftain may never have a better opportunity to notch his first graded win than in the $150,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the San Mateo track's turf course Sept. 22.
Southern California shipper Fantastic Spain overcame traffic trouble at the eighth pole and surged late to win the $191,400 Golden Gate Fields Breeders' Cup (gr. IIIT) by a neck over the odds-on choice Notable Guest on the turf Monday at the Albany, Calif., track.
Most Popular Stories
- Casse Cues Up Sam F. Davis Wildcard
- 'Conversation' Back in NorCal for El Camino
- Legends: Rachel Alexandra, Filly for the Ages
- Birdatthewire Heads Santa Maria Field
- Sandiva Tries Dirt in Royal Delta
- Taking Shergar
- Rafting Set for 2016 Debut in Sam F. Davis
- Young Turf Trio Tries Obviously in Arcadia
- Dominguez Ruled Eligible for Hall of Fame
- Tepin Set for Season Debut in Endeavour