Swiftly Classic, a 4-year-old mare who is pregnant to Old Trieste, brought $145,000 to top Monday's session of Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale.
Hugo Merry Bloodstock paid a top price of $220,000 for a 6-year-old broodmare by Irish River during Friday's session of Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale.
Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale begins Monday, with 4,115 horses catalogued for the 11-day auction.
How do horsemen feel about the long-term health of the Thoroughbred market? The mixed sales in Central Kentucky should provide some answers. Broodmares and broodmare prospects, which represent investments in the future, make up the bulk of the offerings along with weanlings, who are more than a year away from generating any money at the racetrack.
Jewel Princess, a champion daughter of Key to the Mint, was purchased by Coolmore Stud's John Magnier for $4.9 million to top Monday's second session of Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale. Monday's gross receipts represented a record for any single session in Keeneland sale history as 24 horses brought final bids in excess of seven figures.
Keeneland's November breeding stock sale expected to set a record in terms of the number of horses to be offered.
Most Popular Stories
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- BHA Working on Strategies After 'Brexit' Vote
- Weather Impacts Churchill June 23 Program
- Nominations Being Accepted for Top Simulcast
- Legends: Joe Hirsch, Racing Ambassador
- Magee Clinches Training Title at Pimlico
- Eutrophia to Reduce Thoroughbred Holdings