Defending champion Sky Conqueror heads a well-matched field of eight turf specialists Sunday in the $700,000 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) at Woodbine.
Centennial Farms' even-money choice Chelokee, passed mid-stretch by Zanjero in Saturday's $223,800 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs, fought back along the inside to win by a long neck for jockey Ramon Dominguez.
Trainer Michael Matz hopes Centennial Farm's Chelokee, winner of the Barbaro Stakes at Pimlico and third in the Florida Derby (gr. I), can launch the second half of the colt's 3-year-old campaign with a victory over a strong field of seven 3-year-old rivals in the 1 1/16-mile Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Peachtree Stable's High Cotton, under a vigorous ride from the top of the stretch by Garrett Gomez, surged past the tiring favorite Private Vow at the eighth pole and went on to win the $220,400 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-olds Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Private Vow and High Cotton, the first two finishers in last fall's Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) at Churchill Downs, are back as the morning line favorites when they meet again in Saturday's $200,000-added Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-olds.
Forced to miss a start in the Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) last month due to a quarantine caused by equine herpes virus, Don't Get Mad returned to action Saturday with an impressive win as the odds-on choice in the $217,400 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Oxley Makes Pledge to Grayson-Jockey Club
- Top Global Runners Vie in Hong Kong Races
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire