Hotstufanthensome, a 7-year-old gelding owned by Runnin Horse Farm and saddled by Norman Pointer, won Saturday's $150,000 Tampa Bay Breeders' Cup Stakes on the turf.
Hotstufanthensome, untested at the Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIIT) distance of 1 3/8 miles, posted an 18-1 upset in track record time on the Gulfstream Park turf Sunday for substitute trainer Nathan Sinclair.
Hotstufanthensome overcame a soft turf course, constant showers and an inquiry to win the $150,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. III) on Saturday night at the Meadowlands.
Burning Roma and Megantic are expected to highlight Sunday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT), on the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) undercard at Monmouth Park.
Trainer Norman Pointer had his stakes-winning gelding Rize work an easy three furlongs in :39 4/5 breezing Thursday morning. Rize is slated to start in Saturday's $500,000 Donn Handicap (gr. 1) at 1 1/8 miles at Gulfstream Park and was the lone Donn starter among the 14 entrants to work at Gulfstream on Thursday.
Although Runnin Horse Farm’s Rize emerged from his front-running upset victory in Sunday’s Iselin Handicap (gr. II) without any problems, the gelding’s career is on hold as offers pour in to owners Les Steiner and Peter Lombardi.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified