Hotstufanthensome, a 7-year-old gelding owned by Runnin Horse Farm and saddled by Norman Pointer, won Saturday's $150,000 Tampa Bay Breeders' Cup Stakes on the turf.
Hotstufanthensome, untested at the Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIIT) distance of 1 3/8 miles, posted an 18-1 upset in track record time on the Gulfstream Park turf Sunday for substitute trainer Nathan Sinclair.
Hotstufanthensome overcame a soft turf course, constant showers and an inquiry to win the $150,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. III) on Saturday night at the Meadowlands.
Burning Roma and Megantic are expected to highlight Sunday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT), on the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) undercard at Monmouth Park.
Trainer Norman Pointer had his stakes-winning gelding Rize work an easy three furlongs in :39 4/5 breezing Thursday morning. Rize is slated to start in Saturday's $500,000 Donn Handicap (gr. 1) at 1 1/8 miles at Gulfstream Park and was the lone Donn starter among the 14 entrants to work at Gulfstream on Thursday.
Although Runnin Horse Farm’s Rize emerged from his front-running upset victory in Sunday’s Iselin Handicap (gr. II) without any problems, the gelding’s career is on hold as offers pour in to owners Les Steiner and Peter Lombardi.
Most Popular Stories
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Texas Chrome Named Texas Horse of the Year
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Cathryn Sophia Voted Top Midlantic-Bred for 2016
- OBS Championship Stakes Fields Set