The $40,000 claim from October continued to pay dividends for Rockingham Ranch and trainer Peter Miller April 23 at Santa Anita Park.
One day in, and four races down, the Southern California jockey colony had only positive comments about Santa Anita Park's brand-new turf course with just more than a month to go until the Breeders' Cup.
Paraneck Stable's Pink Viper held off 6-5 favorite Johannesburg Star to win the 32nd running of the $70,865 Count Fleet for 3-year-olds at a mile and 70 yards on the Aqueduct inner dirt track on a record 70-degree day Saturday.
Phipps Stables' homebred Happy Hunting won his first stakes try Saturday as the favorite against a group of veteran campaigners in the $110,000 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III).
Streaking Bank Audit got past Sensibly Chic in the final stride to win the $150,000 Genuine Risk Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares by a nose Saturday at Belmont Park.
Scrappy T, a distant third behind Bellamy Road in the Wood Memorial (gr. I) three weeks ago, found Saturday's $150,000 Withers (gr. III) more to his liking. The Fit to Fight gelding seized the lead from War Plan at the quarter pole and outlasted Park Avenue Ball for a one-length victory at foggy Aqueduct Park Saturday.
A muddy track and a blistering pace helped Our Sugar Bear Stable's Travelator to a head victory over Sensibly Chic in the $80,900 Garland of Roses Handicap for fillies and mares at six furlongs Saturday at Aqueduct.
Puglisi Stable's Private Lap notched an easy gate-to-wire victory in the $100,000 Sussex Handicap at Delaware Park Saturday.
Racing luck played a big part in Ole Faunty's victory in the $150,000 John B. Campbell Breeders' Cup Handicap Saturday at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- 139 Cataloged for Texas Yearling and Mixed Sale
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Historical Gains in Kentucky
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale