Chilean group I turf winner Mister Acpen returned to training at Santa Anita earlier this month after more than a year long odyssey stemming from his contraction of a rare disease that was discovered upon his return to the United States from Hong Kong, trainer Kristin Mulhall revealed.
Chilean-bred Tronare, making his first American stakes start, defeated favored Soud in a powerful stretch duel to capture Sunday's $90,00 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf.
Kristin Mulhall, six weeks shy of her 21st birthday, hopes to celebrate her first grade I stakes victory as a trainer Saturday at Hollywood Park when she sends out Chilean import Mister Acpen in the $350,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) at 1 1/4 miles on turf.
Mister Acpen went wire-to-wire against several Grade I and Group I winners to win Wednesday's Hollywood Park feature, a $62,000 allowance for 4-year-olds and up over 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan