Chilean group I turf winner Mister Acpen returned to training at Santa Anita earlier this month after more than a year long odyssey stemming from his contraction of a rare disease that was discovered upon his return to the United States from Hong Kong, trainer Kristin Mulhall revealed.
Chilean-bred Tronare, making his first American stakes start, defeated favored Soud in a powerful stretch duel to capture Sunday's $90,00 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf.
Kristin Mulhall, six weeks shy of her 21st birthday, hopes to celebrate her first grade I stakes victory as a trainer Saturday at Hollywood Park when she sends out Chilean import Mister Acpen in the $350,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) at 1 1/4 miles on turf.
Mister Acpen went wire-to-wire against several Grade I and Group I winners to win Wednesday's Hollywood Park feature, a $62,000 allowance for 4-year-olds and up over 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake