Chilean group I turf winner Mister Acpen returned to training at Santa Anita earlier this month after more than a year long odyssey stemming from his contraction of a rare disease that was discovered upon his return to the United States from Hong Kong, trainer Kristin Mulhall revealed.
Chilean-bred Tronare, making his first American stakes start, defeated favored Soud in a powerful stretch duel to capture Sunday's $90,00 Golden Gate Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf.
Kristin Mulhall, six weeks shy of her 21st birthday, hopes to celebrate her first grade I stakes victory as a trainer Saturday at Hollywood Park when she sends out Chilean import Mister Acpen in the $350,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) at 1 1/4 miles on turf.
Mister Acpen went wire-to-wire against several Grade I and Group I winners to win Wednesday's Hollywood Park feature, a $62,000 allowance for 4-year-olds and up over 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Parx Cancels Given Excessive Heat Warning
- Minding to Go for Sixth GI Win in Nassau
- Governor Malibu Probable for Jim Dandy
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns