The filly Dixie Strike, closing from well out on the track, edged past Colleen's Sailor just past the furlong pole to capture the $493,153 Prince of Wales Stakes July 15 in what could be the race's final renewal at Fort Erie.
Favored Dixie Strike, a half sister to 2011 Woodbine Oaks and Queen's Plate champion Inglorious, romped to a 5 1/2-length win in the $148,720 Ontario Lassie Stakes at Woodbine Dec. 3.
Inglorious' pedigree is rich with solid female strains, surely a good omen for her own career as a broodmare. But that is for the future -- her present is as the undisputed queen of Candian racing.
Inglorious became the first filly to win the $1 million Queen's Plate since 2001 with a spectacular performance for jockey Luis Contreras, sweeping past her rivals impressively for a 2 1/2-length victory June 26.
Favored Inglorious came from off the pace for a patient Luis Contreras and overtook pacesetter Spooky Kitten in the final yards to capture the $511,509 Woodbine Oaks Presented by Budweiser at the Canadian track June 5.
Unbeaten Inglorious showed she's for real after sweeping past her rivals for a 5 3/4-length romp as the 6-5 favorite in the $151,101 Ontario Lassie Stakes on a 27-degree afternoon at Woodbine Dec. 4.
First-time starter Inglorious balked at the start but rallied from last nonetheless to capture the $146,039 Fanfreluche Stakes at Woodbine Oct. 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment