Effinex, a grade I winner and $2.2 million earner, was named New York's 2015 Horse of the Year at the New York Thoroughbred Breeders annual banquet April 4 at the Saratoga National Golf Club in Saratoga Springs.
Hot City Girl enters the seven-furlong Barbara Fritchie off a second-place finish in the Dec. 26 La Brea (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park, which followed three consecutive victories by a combined 14 lengths.
Overwhelming favorite La Verdad led at every point of call and won the $100,000 Dancin Renee Stakes for New York-bred fillies and mares by 7 1/4 lengths June 28 at Belmont Park, pushing her earnings past the $1 million mark.
Front-running La Verdad left her rivals behind leaving the turn en route to her initial graded stakes win, a 3 3/4-length romp in the $200,000 Distaff Handicap (gr. II) at Aqueduct Racetrack April 19.
Trainer Linda Rice hit the "trifecta" in the Nov. 11 Fifth Avenue Division of the New York Stallion Stakes at Aqueduct.
Trainer Todd Pletcher, feeling the chill in New York for the past three weeks, sends out a pair of 2-year-olds in Spanky Fischbein and Fort Drum for the $100,000 Great White Way, part of the New York Stallion Stakes series at Aqueduct on Nov. 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Positive Start to Fasig-Tipton October Sale
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud