The first race at Golden Gate Fields Feb. 15 was declared a no-contest when, because of a malfunction, the starting gate couldn't be moved off the track in time for the one-mile event to be completed.
A spill in the early stages of race 10 at Gulfstream Park March 16 prompted stewards to declare the race a 'no contest' to protect the safety of jockeys and horses.
The 10th and final race at Del Mar Aug. 24 was declared a "no contest" by its stewards when a horse broke through the gate and triggered a chain-reaction effect by many of the other runners in the 12-horse field.
Danger was averted during the second race at Santa Anita Park Oct. 12 as a result of a loose horse running the wrong way up the homestretch. The race, a six-furlong sprint for maiden 2-year-olds, was declared a no contest.
The ninth race at Arlington Park Sept. 15 was declared no contest by the stewards when several sections of the turf rail came apart and fell onto the course in front of the field, causing interference to most of the horses.
Jockey Jose Lezcano appeared to escape serious injury, and the fourth race at Gulfstream Park was declared a "no contest" after the jockey was tossed from his mount Skate shortly after the start of the Jan. 20 event.
Jockey Jose Valdivia, Jr. suffered a hairline fracture of his right tibia Sunday in a nasty spill during the first race at Del Mar. The accident resulted in a "no contest" decision by the track's stewards.
The second race at Bay Meadows Feb. 6 was declared a no contest after four of the six horses in the $16,000 maiden claiming event were affected by a spill in deep stretch.
Wednesday's opening-day program at Bay Meadows was marred by a spill in the day's eighth and final race that was declared no contest by stewards after only four of the original nine starters crossed the finish line.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop