Graded stakes winners Sligo Bay and Wiseman's Ferry were represented by their first winners June 1. Graded stakes-placed No Armistice was represented by his first winner May 31.
B. Wayne Hughes' No Armistice, a graded stakes-placed son of Unbridled, will enter stud for the 2004 breeding season at The Pons family's Country Life Farm near Bel Air, Md.
"He's working really well. He's real happy. He's like he was a couple of years ago." Is he really the same "old warrior?" "Oh, yeah, he's the same old guy." That's jockey Alex Solis talking about his favorite horse, Kona Gold, in preparation for a start Saturday in the 58th edition of the grade II, $200,000 Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap at 6 furlongs on the main track.
Champion sprinter Kona Gold celebrated turning 9 Wednesday by winning the $100,000 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III) by a neck over Radiata at Santa Anita Wednesday.
Orientate took an early lead and pulled away down the stretch to win the Aristides by 4 1/2 lengths Saturday at Churchill Downs. Orientate's victory foiled Bet On Sunshine's attempt to win the stakes race for the third straight year, as the 10-year-old checked home a non-threatening fourth.
Bet on Sunshine, the 10-year-old Paul McGee trainee, is the highweight for Saturday's $100,000-added Aristides Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Eclipse champion Kona Gold will make his 2002 debut in Sunday's Los Angeles Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park. Kona Gold concedes 10 to 13 pounds to his five rivals.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Grade 2 Status Not Reinstated for Buena Vista