Cost of Freedom is back to defend his title in Oak Tree's $300,000 Ancient Title Stakes (gr. I) Oct. 11, but he's just one of several hunch play possibilities in a 10-horse field at Santa Anita.
It keeps getting easier for the flashy sprinter Zensational, who cruised to his third consecutive grade I victory under Victor Espinoza in the $300,000 Pat O'Brien Breeders' Cup Stakes at Del Mar Sept. 6.
Zensational, who has vaulted to the top of the national rankings for sprinters, goes for his third consecutive grade I win as the heavy favorite in the $300,000 Pat O'Brien Breeders' Cup Stakes at Del Mar Sept. 6.
On Saturday, in one corner of the country, the mighty Pyro once again crushed his foes, winning the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) in grand style. On the same day, in the opposite corner of the country, a humbly-bred colt who sold for meager $1,000 as a yearling, Autism Awareness, mowed down his field to win the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III).
Autism Awareness, the longest shot in the field, sprang a touching $126 upset in the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Bay Meadows March 8. Johnny Taboada, the horse's owner, has an 8-year-old son, Renzo, who has autism.
Ten 3-year-olds were entered in the $150,000 El Camino Real Derby at Bay Meadows March 8, California's only graded Triple Crown prep event to be contested on dirt.
It was the second win in six starts for the 3-year-old Formal Gold colt, who had just broke his maiden less than a month before at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Easter Filly for Horse of the Year Zenyatta
- Trainer Jones Continues to Recover From Fall
- After the Wire: Top 5 Derby Prep Races
- Champion Filly Beholder Coasts in 2014 Debut
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Winter Meet Handle Up 4%
- Wildcat Red, With Saez, Works at Gulfstream
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby