Shadea, the dam of Australian Horse of the Year Lonhro, was found dead in her paddock Tuesday at Woodlands Stud in New South Wales, Australia.
With the big names headed to Keeneland for the Royal Chase later this month, second-level stakes horses tangle in the $75,000 Georgia Cup Hurdle (NSA-II) at the Atlanta Steeplechase at Kingston, Ga. Saturday. The 2-mile open stakes draws a good group that includes Mixed Up, Mauritania, and Niello.
Hirapour and McDynamo, the last two American steeplechase champions, meet Saturday to decide the 2005 title winner, headlining a field of nine in the $150,000 Colonial Cup (NSA-I) at Springdale Race Course in Camden, S.C.
Private Steer advanced toward the W.S. Cox Plate (Aust-I), her first appearance at five producing an effortless win in the $200,000 (Australian funds) Warwick Stakes at Warwick Farm Aug. 21.
Starcraft, something of a Phar Lap facsimile, overcame immaturity and courageous outsider Braeloch to win the Australian Derby (Aust-I) by a long head April 10 in front of 53,744--the largest Derby-day crowd in 40 years.
Betting lines on Saturday's $2 million (Australian funds) Australian Derby (Aust-I) suggest Niello is facing a far from easy task to become the fifth colt to win Australia's Triple Crown.
Australia's best racehorse, Lonhro (Octagonal--Shadea), will retire to stud in about three weeks.
Most Australian horses live in the shadow of Lonhro, but when you're his kid brother it can be a real trial. Not that Lonhro would be unaware of what its like, having always chased the reputation of their dad, Octagonal.
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Tiz a Slam Heads Prince of Wales Stakes
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap