For the second consecutive year, a French-trained winner of the Geelong Cup (Aus-III) captured Australia's most famous race, the Aus$6 million Melbourne Cup (Aus-I).
Peter Abruzzo's Ninebanks, ridden by Ron Warren Jr., battled Nicobar through the stretch of Saturday's $177,500 San Francisco Mile (gr. IIT) before prevailing by a nose.
Everest Stable's Night Patrol disposed of heavily-favored Congaree at the top of the stretch and prevailed in a furious stretch battle with Kachamandi to capture the $250,000 Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile by a nose Saturday.
Kachamandi took advantage of a solid pace and a perfectly-timed ride by Patrick Valenzuela to score a length victory in the featured Harry F. Brubaker Handicap at Del Mar Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Champion Tepin Works at Churchill Downs
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends
- Tourist, Celestine Work at Keeneland
- War Front's Mosler to Country Life Farm