For the second consecutive year, a French-trained winner of the Geelong Cup (Aus-III) captured Australia's most famous race, the Aus$6 million Melbourne Cup (Aus-I).
Peter Abruzzo's Ninebanks, ridden by Ron Warren Jr., battled Nicobar through the stretch of Saturday's $177,500 San Francisco Mile (gr. IIT) before prevailing by a nose.
Everest Stable's Night Patrol disposed of heavily-favored Congaree at the top of the stretch and prevailed in a furious stretch battle with Kachamandi to capture the $250,000 Oak Tree Breeders' Cup Mile by a nose Saturday.
Kachamandi took advantage of a solid pace and a perfectly-timed ride by Patrick Valenzuela to score a length victory in the featured Harry F. Brubaker Handicap at Del Mar Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- Goo Goo Dolls to Perform Belmont Weekend
- Powers, Billy Kelly Selected for Hall of Fame
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- 1995 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence
- Williamson Joins American Horse Council Staff
- Inglis Reports Productive Four-Day Auction
- Mr. Z Camp Still Undecided on Preakness
- Old English Rancho Owner Johnston Dies at 77
- New Injury Diagnosis for International Star