Increasing purses and reducing costs were primary topics at the Thoroughbred Owners of California open forum held at Santa Anita Feb. 8.
Trainer Ron Ellis and owner Nick Alexander are the newest members of the Thoroughbred Owners of California Board of Directors.
Luscious Lonna, claimed for $6,250 in 2011, posted a gate-to-wire upset victory in the $61,350 Golden Poppy Stakes at Golden Gate Fields April 7.
Hazardous will be taking a huge step in class as he goes from a $22,500 claiming event to the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint.
Even-money morning-line favorite Grazen drew post position 3 for the $200,000 California Cup Classic presented by City National Bank at the draw breakfast Sept. 30.
Making his graded stakes debut in the $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III), favored Grazen was never headed while posting a 2 3/4-length win over five 3-year-old rivals at Hollywood Park June 20.
Luxury Flight, a filly by Flying Victor, brought the top price of $40,000 at American Equine Sales' Wine Country yearling sale on Tuesday at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Don't Tell Sophia Back at Oaklawn for 2015
- Handsome Mike to Stand at Pleasant Acres
- New Purse Payout for Charles Town Classic
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Qatar Sponsorship Boosts Goodwood Purses
- Scholarship Named in Honor of Thornbury
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea