Philip Hanrahan, chief executive officer of the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, will step down in mid-February after the organization's winter convention in Carefree, Ariz.
The Claiming Crown, with purses totaling $1 million this year, will continue to be held at Gulfstream Park through 2015, it was announced Aug. 15.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association is caught in a vicious cycle. Racetracks' and horsemen's associations are looking for reasons to avoid paying dues to the marketing/lobbying arm of the industry. Read Blog
Regular and open nominations for the 10th annual Claiming Crown at Canterbury Park close April 25.
The fourth running of $550,000 Claiming Crown will be held at Philadelphia Park on Aug. 31. The series will offer six races with purses between $50,000 and $150,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt Leads MM Weanling Session
- Pleascach Wins Irish One Thousand Guineas
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill
- Milestone 5,000th Win for Jockey Bravo
- Frammento 'Developing Nicely' for Belmont
- Texas Air Seeks Upset in Lone Star 'Cap
- Undefeated Promise Me Silver Aiming for Acorn
- Firing Line Returns to Track at Santa Anita
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- Trujillo to Move Tack to Monmouth Park