Philip Hanrahan, chief executive officer of the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, will step down in mid-February after the organization's winter convention in Carefree, Ariz.
The Claiming Crown, with purses totaling $1 million this year, will continue to be held at Gulfstream Park through 2015, it was announced Aug. 15.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association is caught in a vicious cycle. Racetracks' and horsemen's associations are looking for reasons to avoid paying dues to the marketing/lobbying arm of the industry. Read Blog
Regular and open nominations for the 10th annual Claiming Crown at Canterbury Park close April 25.
The fourth running of $550,000 Claiming Crown will be held at Philadelphia Park on Aug. 31. The series will offer six races with purses between $50,000 and $150,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Gulfstream 'Cap Distance Fits Private Zone
- Retired Trainer Lake Dies in Saratoga Springs
- Winning Prize to Defend Kilroe Mile Title
- Penn Cancels March 4, Charles Town March 5.
- Conquest Two Step One to Beat in San Carlos