Philip Hanrahan, chief executive officer of the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, will step down in mid-February after the organization's winter convention in Carefree, Ariz.
The Claiming Crown, with purses totaling $1 million this year, will continue to be held at Gulfstream Park through 2015, it was announced Aug. 15.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association is caught in a vicious cycle. Racetracks' and horsemen's associations are looking for reasons to avoid paying dues to the marketing/lobbying arm of the industry. Read Blog
Regular and open nominations for the 10th annual Claiming Crown at Canterbury Park close April 25.
The fourth running of $550,000 Claiming Crown will be held at Philadelphia Park on Aug. 31. The series will offer six races with purses between $50,000 and $150,000.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- First Reported Foal for Gig Harbor is Colt
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull