Sidney's Candy, the overwhelming favorite in a scratched-down field of five for the $150,000 Sir Beaufort Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Dec. 26, romped to a 7 1/4-length triumph.
Trainer Bob Baffert has Lookin At Lucky penciled in for the Rebel Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park March 13 for the colt's 3-year-old debut. But he left the door slightly ajar for the San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) the same day.
Eight of the original 10 entrants for Santa Anita's Sham Stakes (gr. III), a useful prep for next month's Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), remained part of the lineup when the entries were taken for the March 6 makeup date.
With a lull in the stakes action, this is a good time to complete a Top 20 list in what has been a wide-open year.
Time to reevaluate some of the horses and races, and a look at the Sham Stakes and several classy maiden and allowance races.
The $150,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Feb. 27 should serve as a good indicator for 10 trainers wondering if their charges belong on the Triple Crown trail.
Rule, Caracortado, and Sidney's Candy dominate weekend stakes in Florida and California.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Unbridled Unleashed
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby