When Harlan's Holiday won last year's Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) in a time of 1:51.51, it was the slowest winning time in the 1 1/8-mile race since Granacus (1:52) beat Intensive Command by three lengths in 1988. On Saturday, Peace Rules creeped home slower than Harlan's Holiday, finishing the key Kentucky Derby prep race in 1:51.73 on the fast track.
Edmund Gann's Peace Rules, a late entrant to Sunday's $750,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds, spoiled the supposed showdown between Kafwain and Badge of Silver with a convincing victory in his first stakes race on dirt.
Edmund A. Gann's Peace Rules, with Victor Espinoza aboard, scored an easy front-running victory in Hollywood Park's Generous Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 2-year-olds at a mile on the turf Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test