Trainer Doug O'Neill discusses throwing out the first pitch at a New York Yankees-Baltimore Orioles baseball game May 15, 2012. watch video
New York Yankees' owner George Steinbrenner, a major breeder/owner, died the morning of July 13 in Tampa following a heart attack.
- By Tom Precious
The reported departure of Steve Swindal from the New York Yankees--and his ties to the Steinbrenner family as well--has thrown into doubt the future of Excelsior Racing Associates, the group trying to take over New York's Thoroughbred racetrack franchise. Excelsior Racing, however, said Swindal remains an "integral part" of the team.
- By Tom LaMarra
Principals in the ownership of and construction of a new stadium for the New York Yankees are similarly committed to strengthening the Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry in New York via the Excelsior Group, Yankees partner Steve Swindal said.
Jockey Richard Migliore will receive the Thurman Munson Award from the Association for the Help of Retarded Children at the 23rd annual Thurman Munson Awards Dinner on Feb. 4 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes