Following the recommendation of The Jockey Club Thoroughbred Safety Committee, toe grabs with a height greater than two millimeters (.07874 inches) on front horseshoes will be banned from all horses racing at Saratoga, Belmont Park, and Aqueduct effecctive Oct. 29, opening day of the Aqueduct fall meet.
Members of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association voiced their displeasure with the racing surfaces at Saratoga, Belmont Park, and Aqueduct during a meeting Aug. 31, but the New York Racing Association track superintendent later said he stands by the surfaces.
Officials of Breeders' Cup Limited and the New York Racing Association announced Wednesday that ticket applications for this year's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships are now available. The 22nd Breeders' Cup, consisting of eight grade I races with purses and awards totaling $14 million, will be held on Saturday, Oct. 29 at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y.
- By Tom Precious
More money was wagered in New York on out-of-state races than in-state races in 2003, the first time such a shift has occurred, according to a new report by the New York State Racing and Wagering Board.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- America's Galileo
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Lieblong New Chair for Arkansas Regulator