Value in young, unproven sires rebounding with market. read blog
The Keeneland September yearling sale is a tradition. As Saratoga is the "August place to be" so might Keeneland be considered the September hotspot. In another industry it might be considered a convention of sorts.
A visual look at some of the top new stallions for 2013. View Slideshow
Tattersalls Ireland will conduct a new sires showcase sale on the opening day of its September yearling auction, Sept. 5-7.
Racing in general seems to slow down over the winter. Oh sure, there are newly-turned 3-year-olds to watch at Gulfstream Park, Santa Anita, and other major tracks and the announcements of the Eclipse Award winners and Experimental Free Handicap. But overall, there is a letdown in excitement.
Can it really be just a year ago that the top price for an incoming stallion was only $40,000? That the second-highest price was $30,000? Well, now the top price for a newcomer is back up to six figures, $100,000 to be exact, and the next highest is $50,000.
For those pedigree pundits who worry about the gene pool being concentrated in a few sire lines, here's some more bad news. Half of the select field of 24 stallions entering stud in 2002 descend from the Mr. Prospector male line.
Every few years there's a new stallion prospect(s) that gets the world of horse racing excited. Think back to the 1970s; Triple Crown winners Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed, along with Affirmed's rival Alydar, immediately come to mind. Then there is the 1980s with Spectacular Bid, Conquistador Cielo, and Devil's Bag, followed by Easy Goer in 1991 and Cigar in 1997. This time, it's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus.
Most Popular Stories
- Two Derby Hopefuls Boast Derby-Winning Sires
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Mubtaahij in 'Missed Work' at Arlington
- StarLadies On Oaks Trail With Eskenformoney
- No Catching Cinco Charlie in William Walker
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Effinex Wins Excelsior, Wicked Strong Third
- Longshot Si Sage Stuns Field in Last Tycoon
- Longshot Rerun Marches to Miami Mile Score