The New Mexico Gaming Control Board has revoked a gaming license for a planned racetrack casino in Raton near the Colorado border.
The New Mexico State Racing Commission voted 3-to-1 to award Ruidoso Downs owner R.D. Hubbard and his partnership a license to build and operate a new track and casino near Hobbs. Hubbard is the majority owner in the Zia Park partnership that also includes Ruidoso Downs president Bruce Rimbo, Ed Allred, the owner of the Los Alamitos racetrack in California and Paul Blanchard, the president of the Downs at Albuquerque.
The New Mexico Racing Commission will take no action on licensing a racetrack in Hobbs until early next year. The delay comes after Gov. Gary Johnson removed three members of the five-member commission in November.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training