The New Mexico Gaming Control Board has revoked a gaming license for a planned racetrack casino in Raton near the Colorado border.
The New Mexico State Racing Commission voted 3-to-1 to award Ruidoso Downs owner R.D. Hubbard and his partnership a license to build and operate a new track and casino near Hobbs. Hubbard is the majority owner in the Zia Park partnership that also includes Ruidoso Downs president Bruce Rimbo, Ed Allred, the owner of the Los Alamitos racetrack in California and Paul Blanchard, the president of the Downs at Albuquerque.
The New Mexico Racing Commission will take no action on licensing a racetrack in Hobbs until early next year. The delay comes after Gov. Gary Johnson removed three members of the five-member commission in November.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail