Thoroughbred Charities of America has announced the appointment of Pope McLean, Jr. and Dr. Scott Palmer to its board of directors for three-year terms.
Cash Is King's Afleet Alex, dramatic winner of the Preakness and runaway winner of the Belmont Stakes (both gr. I), was operated on Wednesday at the New Jersey Equine Clinic after suffering a condylar fracture. The 3-year-old son of Northern Afleet is now out of consideration for the upcoming Haskell Invitational Handicap (gr. I) and Travers Stakes (gr. I) but could return for a fall campaign.
Fox Hill Farm's Round Pond, winner of the Acorn (gr. I) and Fantasy Stakes (gr. II) has been taken out of training after a small chip was discovered in her knee following her second-place finish in the Delaware Oaks (gr. II).
Robert LaPenta's The Cliff's Edge, who suffered a fracture of the right front ankle during the running of the Oct. 2 Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), underwent successful surgery the morning of Oct. 4 at the New Jersey Equine Clinic.
Looking at the handsome Smarty Jones today, it's hard to believe he once was so disfigured he was known as Quasimodo around the New Jersey Equine Clinic, where he had been brought after smashing up his head and face in a starting gate incident last spring.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Pegasus Workers Drill Across Florida
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Chrome and Arrogate: Who to Root For?
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Grade 3 Winner Chitu Sires First Foal
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm