After hitting the board but missing out on victory in her last 10 graded stakes tries, Watsdachances broke through in the $150,000 Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) May 16 at Pimlico Race Course.
Hot Cha Cha used a ground-saving trip under James Graham and outdueled three rivals along the hedge in the final furlong to win the Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT) by three-quarters of a length June 5 at Churchill.
Hot Cha Cha found room along the inside turning for home and pulled away in the stretch under James Graham for an 8-1 upset in the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Stakes (gr. IT) Oct. 17 at Keeneland.
Nelson McMakin's homebred Hot Cha Cha angled four-wide for her stretch run and caught 2-1 favorite Romacaca inside the sixteenth pole to post a 1 1/4-length victory under James Graham in the $200,000 Pucker Up (gr. IIIT) Sept. 7 on the Arlington Park turf course.
Hot Cha Cha, a 9-1 outsider making her stakes debut, seized the lead from favored Fitz Just Right leaving the eighth pole and drew away to a romping six-length win in the $150,000 Bourbonette Oaks (gr. III) at Turfway Park March 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- U.S. Pari-Mutuel Handle Down Slightly in June
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny