Lucifer's Stone was bottled up in the slow-paced $264,000 Garden City Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT), but when the opportunity arose in mid-stretch, jockey Jose Santos shot the filly through the gap to register an upset over a pair of well-fancied European fillies on the Belmont Park turf Sunday.
Trainer Christophe Clement takes aim at New York's top prize for 3-year-old turf fillies when he sends out Torrestrella and Spotlight in the $300,000 Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. IT).
Godolphin Racing's Crimson Palace found American racing to her liking Saturday, winning the $750,000 Beverly D. (gr. IT) in the closing strides at Arlington Park.
Gainsborough Farm's Musical Chimes, a resounding winner of the John C. Mabee Handicap (gr. IT) on Del Mar's opening weekend, has been installed the 2-1 morning line choice for Saturday's Beverly D. Stakes (gr. IT) at Arlington Park.
Michael Tabor's favored Necklace came under some pressure from jockey Mick Kinane to catch Menhoubah in the final 100 yards, but the 2-year-old filly proved her superiority with a one-length victory in the Moyglare Stud Stakes (Ire-I) at The Curragh Sunday.
One Cool Cat gave trainer Aidan O'Brien his sixth consecutive Phoenix Stakes (Ire-I) for 2-year-olds, capping a four-win day for the Ballydoyle racing operation at The Curragh Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Creative Cause Filly's Sale Emotional for Koch
- Battle of Midway Logs Final Work for Kentucky Derby
- Unbridled Unleashed