Churchill Downs April 15 announced that multiple-award winner and country music superstar LeAnn Rimes will help the racetrack launch a new tradition when she performs the national anthem live as part of the ceremonies leading up to the 135th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) May 2.
Peter Abruzzo's Ninebanks, ridden by Ron Warren Jr., battled Nicobar through the stretch of Saturday's $177,500 San Francisco Mile (gr. IIT) before prevailing by a nose.
Redattore rallied from behind an oddly set pace to win the $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) on Saturday at Del Mar.
Seven hard-hitting turf horses, headed by millionaire Native Desert and millionaire-in-waiting Irish Prize and including a pair trained by Robert Frankel, are set to go in Saturday's 28th running of the grade I, $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap at 1 1/8 miles on Del Mar's Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
Edmund A. Gann's Fateful Dream raced in last place behind moderate fractions before rallying in the stretch to win the $107,100 Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a length over National Anthem on Saturday at Hollywood Park. Under David Flores, Fateful Dream completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.65 on a firm turf course.
The $100,000-added Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Hollywood Park is expected to mark the North American bow of Argentine-bred star City West, second highweight at 119 pounds. City West, a 4-year-old colt in the Patrick Biancone barn, won four of five starts last year in Argentina, three of the victories in Group I competition. Eddie Delahoussaye has the call.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident