Blushing Groom was brilliant on the track and one of the greatest international sires ever brought to America.
Once upon a time there was a brave young prince named Bold Ruler, who became the greatest stallion of his time.
It's unusual for a runner to cross the finish line before a champion, unusual for any horse to have ancestors from 6 nations in her 3rd generation, and definitely Pretty Unusual to fit both of these descriptions.
Kingmambo excelled at a mile on the track but his offspring have shown a mix of speed and stamina. Henrythenavigator, a three-time group I winner, is among Europe's leading milers this year. He is the sixth group winner and third classic winner produced from the cross of Kingmambo with Sadler's Wells daughters.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Most veteran campaigners at the racetrack are geldings. So a mare that proves hardy enough to run in stakes company year after year is something truly special. Such is the case with Silmaril, who retired from racing Jan. 12 after winning the What a Summer Stakes at Laurel Park. The daughter of Diamond was a stakes winner for five consecutive years and retired as Maryland's 17th equine millionaire. Now, her future as a broodmare is wide open.
Nasrullah, produced from the Blenheim II mare Mumtaz Begum, posted a remarkable 25% stakes winners from foals from his first crop.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- Kentucky Derby Wrap
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence