Old Vic, England's 1989 Horse of the Year who went on to become a prominent National Hunt stallion, was euthanized Feb. 21 from complications from colic at Sunnyhill Stud in Co. Kildare, Ireland.
Arc winner Bago became a group I winner for the third consecutive year when he burst through a hole near the rail with a furlong left to win the Prix Ganay (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
The Nairchos Family's Bago bounded into next year's European Classic picture with a six-length romp in Saturday's Criterium International (Fr-I) at Saint-Cloud.
Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Stud announced that homebred champion and millionaire Nayef has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Shadwell's Nunnery Stud in England.
Street Cry's stellar performance to win the seventh running of the Group I Dubai World Cup in March earned the Godolphin Racing star's the Emirates Racing Association's Nashwan Horse of the Year Award for 2001-02.
Sheikh Hamdan's homebred champion and stallion Nashwan was euthanized July 19 because of complications following what was expected to be a minor operation on his right hind leg
Dick Hern, who trained such outstanding runners as Nashwan, Brigadier Gerard, and Troy, is dead in England at the age of 81.
Racing at Ascot, in England, was canceled after the first race Saturday due to a coded bomb threat.
Shadwell Stable's homebred Elhayq tracked the early leaders and sprinted away at the top of the stretch to win the $150,000 Bowling Green Handicap by 2 3/4 lengths Saturday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Girvin, Farrell Exit Fair Grounds Wins Well
- Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale Poised for Strength
- John Moore Sweeps Hong Kong G1s
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout
- Under Tack Show Can Make or Break Sale
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Jockey Alex Birzer Reaches 3,000 Wins