Three winners of the Eclipse Award for the best steeplechase horse in the land will square off in the $150,000 Iroquois Steeplechase on Saturday.
Shuka bested five other group I winners to get a repeat win in the Rydges Wellington Captain Cook Stakes (NZ-I) Dec. 6 at Trentham.
Equine practitioners get up to speed on a variety of topics at their annual convention Dec. 7-11 in Nashville Download Now
After a half-dozen starts without a victory, Nashville hit his winning stride for a repeat in the WFA Classic (NZ-I) Feb. 22 at Otaki.
Third in last year's Windsor Park Plate (NZ-I), Block Partnership's Xanadu took this year's edition in a clear victory over two-time New Zealand Horse of the Year Mufhasa Sept. 21 at Hastings.
Ngai Chun-Hung's former New Zealand classic-placed Historian posted an unlikely win at the group I level Jan. 25 at Trentham when edging Lady Kipling in the Harcourts Thorndon Mile.
Irvin Naylor's Tax Ruling challenged front-running Slip Away before the next to last fence of the $150,000 Calvin Houghland Iroquois Steeplechase (NSA-I) May 8, took the lead before the last, and drew clear to win.
Steeplechase owner Calvin Houghland, who had recently turned 93, died Oct. 27.
Officials with the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association and Keeneland were to hit the road to Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 30 to attempt to cultivate Thoroughbred owners.
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Epicharis Earns Japan Kentucky Derby Bid
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George