Nearly 30 years ago, Michael Nance got his start in Thoroughbred racing cutting the grass at the Busler Training Center in Evansville, Ind. He recently saddled the 1,000th winner as a trainer.
Lawanda earned her second stakes win of the meet Saturday at Portland Meadows when she flattened five others in the $10,000 Oregon Oaks.
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Oregon stallion Cascadian came through with his first winner Nov. 13 when his son Cascadiansasquatch won the Bill Wineberg Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- 'Bea' Changes Tactics, Captures Sugar Maple
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington