Nearly 30 years ago, Michael Nance got his start in Thoroughbred racing cutting the grass at the Busler Training Center in Evansville, Ind. He recently saddled the 1,000th winner as a trainer.
Lawanda earned her second stakes win of the meet Saturday at Portland Meadows when she flattened five others in the $10,000 Oregon Oaks.
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Oregon stallion Cascadian came through with his first winner Nov. 13 when his son Cascadiansasquatch won the Bill Wineberg Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- G. G. Ryder Wins All American in Blanket Finish
- Weekend Hideaway Repeats in Commentator
- Gun Runner Breezes for Stephen Foster
- Connections Plan Breeders' Cup Trip for Top Casablanca
- Fourstar Crook Continues Turf Win Streak
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham