Nearly 30 years ago, Michael Nance got his start in Thoroughbred racing cutting the grass at the Busler Training Center in Evansville, Ind. He recently saddled the 1,000th winner as a trainer.
Lawanda earned her second stakes win of the meet Saturday at Portland Meadows when she flattened five others in the $10,000 Oregon Oaks.
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Oregon stallion Cascadian came through with his first winner Nov. 13 when his son Cascadiansasquatch won the Bill Wineberg Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Tumor Side Effect Leads to Filly's Group I DQ
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Pedigree Analysis: Shared Belief Rides On
- Effort Aims to Improve Animal Feed Safety
- Jockey Oscar Flores Records Milestone Victory
- TimeformUS Weekend Plays: The Whitney
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney