The Jockey Club has issued a reminder to owners and breeders that a valid attempt to name foals of 2011 must be made by Feb. 1 to avoid a $100 late fee.
Do these monikers suit these six- and seven-figure horses or do they add unnecessary burdens to animals that already are weighed down by high expectations? read blog
The Jockey Club reminds owners and breeders that a valid attempt to name foals of 2009 must be made by Feb. 1, 2011, to avoid a $75 late fee.
In our quest to discover the origins of names belonging to Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contenders, we discovered a diamond mine, picked up some basketball lingo, learned Indonesian, and found out what brown can do for us. Here are the stories behind the names of a few runners going into this year's first Saturday in May.
- By Blood-Horse Staff
- News, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
A valid attempt to name foals of 2006 must be made by Feb. 1, 2008, in order to avoid a $75 late fee, The Jockey Club announced Dec. 27.
Jockey Jordan Charkoudian rides first winner...The Jockey Club deadline for naming foals is Feb. 1.
When the horses competing in this year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) got their names, they had only their pedigree, personality, and their owners' personalities to create for them the perfect title.
Owners and breeders must attempt to name foals of 2001 by Feb. 1 to avoid a $50 late fee, The Jockey Club said.
By Alastair Bull -- You may not realize it, but Citation is alive and in training. So, for that matter, is Allez France. We've also seen Habibti racing again, and doing very well. None of these horses are clones. All are instead examples of one of world racing's great anomalies: the ability to re-use the names of champion racehorses.
By Buddy Bishop -- Maybe it's a sign of the times, a glimpse of what lies ahead. But I certainly hope that isn't the case. In the past few months, several Thoroughbred owners have submitted horse names that were quite obviously "vulgar, obscene, in poor taste, and offensive to religious, political, or ethnic groups."
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Which Game On Dude Will Show Up in Classic?
- Obviously Targets Del Mar Mile Three-Peat
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic
- CHRB Amends Fee Scale for Losing Jockeys
- Tapestry Upsets Taghrooda in Yorkshire Oaks
- Big Blue Kitten Back in Jersey's Cliff Hanger
- TVG to Have Enhanced Pacific Classic Coverage
- Champion Benny the Bull to Bridlewood in 2015
- Seaway Draws Well-Balanced Field of 11