GEM Inc.'s J P's Gusto, who hadn't won a race since the grade I Del Mar Futurity last September, signaled his fondness for sprinting with a blowout victory in the $400,000 Red Legend Stakes at Charles Town June 18.
There are several under-the-radar horses who could run big in this weekend's 3-year-old stakes
Astrology has been a bit star-crossed so far in 2011, but the well-regarded son of A.P. Indy will finally get his 3-year-old season started in the $800,000 Sunland Park Derby (gr. III) in New Mexico March 27.
Mucho Macho Man breezed an easy five furlongs in 1:02 3/5 for trainer Kathy Ritvo and is the likely favorite in the $1 million Louisiana Derby (gr. II) on March. 26.
Stay Thirsty was installed the 9-5 favorite in the 1 1/16-mile Gotham Stakes, which drew a mostly unheralded field of nine.
Overlooked Maybesomaybenot took the lead from the inside post for jockey Julien Leparoux and never looked back, springing a 9-1 surprise in the $150,000 Sanford Stakes (gr. II) by 1 1/2 lengths July 25 at Saratoga.
Most Popular Stories
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test
- Texas Racing Commission OKs Instant Racing