Attendance is even and handle is down at the midpoint of the soggy 135th Saratoga racing season. On-track handle is off 6.9 percent and total handle has declined $23.5 million, or 8.4 percent.
In the much-anticipated return of Sky Mesa, it was Eugene and Laura Melnyk's rapidly-improving Strong Hope who held on for victory in Sunday's $150,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) by a head over Nacheezmo, with Sky Mesa settling for a non-threatening third.
Herbert and Carol A. Schwartz's Go Rockin' Robin, like Funny Cide a New York bred by Distorted Humor, flew over a sloppy Belmont Park track to win Saturday's $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds.
Out of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) with a low blood count, Alysweep bounces back for Saturday's $200,000 Peter Pan (gr. II) at 1 1/8 mile for 3-year-olds at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?