Candy Ball broke sharply and led every step of the way in the $150,000 Bayou Breeders' Cup Handicap Feb. 23 at Fair Grounds, soundly defeating five rivals in the 1 1/8-mile test that was moved to the dirt.
A field of seven is entered for the Feb. 23 Bayou Handicap, a 1 1/8-mile turf test for older fillies and mares at Fair Grounds.
Ridden confidently by Alex Solis, even-money favorite Valbenny rallied to win the $154,750 Honeymoon Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies by nearly two lengths over Super Freaky on the Hollywood Park lawn Saturday.
Runway Rosie goes for her third successive victory with the services of the country's leading money-winning jockey in Garrett Gomez when she faces her toughest career test in Sunday's $459,250 Hollywood Starlet (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Irish-bred Valbenny, making her first U.S. start, rallied impressively from tenth in the final quarter under jockey Alex Solis to win the Miesque Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf by three-quarters of a length over favorite Mystic Soul Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- The Legacy of Gone West
- First Reported Foal for Jimmy Creed
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- Early Claiming Activity Robust at Oaklawn
- Fair Grounds to Host 'Rosie Day' Feb. 21
- Turfway Increases Purses, Adds Race Per Week
- OBS March 2YO Sale Set for March 17-18
- Australia Expects 3.3% Drop in 2015 Foal Crop
- Monmouth Announces 2015 Stakes Schedule