Candy Ball broke sharply and led every step of the way in the $150,000 Bayou Breeders' Cup Handicap Feb. 23 at Fair Grounds, soundly defeating five rivals in the 1 1/8-mile test that was moved to the dirt.
A field of seven is entered for the Feb. 23 Bayou Handicap, a 1 1/8-mile turf test for older fillies and mares at Fair Grounds.
Ridden confidently by Alex Solis, even-money favorite Valbenny rallied to win the $154,750 Honeymoon Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies by nearly two lengths over Super Freaky on the Hollywood Park lawn Saturday.
Runway Rosie goes for her third successive victory with the services of the country's leading money-winning jockey in Garrett Gomez when she faces her toughest career test in Sunday's $459,250 Hollywood Starlet (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Irish-bred Valbenny, making her first U.S. start, rallied impressively from tenth in the final quarter under jockey Alex Solis to win the Miesque Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf by three-quarters of a length over favorite Mystic Soul Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Kentucky Horsemen Prepped on New Drug Rules
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- Fair Grounds Hall of Fame Inducts Proud Spell
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe