Churchill Downs opened the 2009 spring meet April 25 with a cast of talented Derby Trial (gr. III) 3-year-olds lined up with the promise of spotlighting a potential star. And while Hull's victory was impressive, it was Richard, Bertram, and Elaine Klein's Cash Refund that drew raves 60 minutes earlier with a resounding seven-length triumph in a non-winners of two allowance race.
Graded stakes winner Mystery Storm has been moved to David Beard's Catfish Farm near Longview, Texas
Graded stakes winners Mystery Storm, El Amante, and Cat's Career will stand next breeding season at Weston-Ward Thoroughbreds at Straus Medina Ranch near San Antonio, Texas
Richard, Bertram, and Elaine Klein's Swept Away, a winner of nine of 16 starts for earnings of $550,500, was retired June 26 because of an injury to her left front sesamoid. In her last race, the grade II Genuine Risk Handicap at Belmont Park May 12, Swept Away finished an uncharacteristic eighth.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Alert Bay Seeks Repeat Victory in San Francisco Mile