A rare "no contest" was declared after Santa Anita's third race March 3 when the starting gate malfunctioned and only three of the seven horses came out of the gate properly.
El Gato Malo makes his third start since winning last year's Lone Star Derby (gr. III) in the $150,000 San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 17. The beaten favorite in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) is part of a wide open field of a dozen 4-year-olds in the 1 1/16-mile test over the Pro-Ride racing surface.
Jockey Mike Smith, trainer John Shirreffs, and owners/breeders Jerry and Ann Moss have one trip to the Hollywood Park winner's circle guaranteed. They are hoping for a second with Madeo following the $500,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) Nov. 30.
Muny, who posted his third straight victory with a front-running effort in the Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT) on the Breeders' Cup undercard at Santa Anita Oct. 25, is slated to make his next start in the $500,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) Nov. 30, trainer Mike Puype said Nov. 7.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs
- Seasoned Sprinters Fill Churchill Downs S.