With co-owner Derrick Smith looking on, Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien sent out Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) hopefuls St Nicholas Abbey and Treasure Beach for a gallop at Santa Anita Nov. 1.
Cape Blanco, who withstood a tenacious challenge for a game victory in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1, has been retired due to an injury sustained in the race over yielding turf at Belmont Park.
Cape Blanco shipped across the pond from Ireland for third time to collect a grade I victory, barely outlasting a determined Dean's Kitten by a nose in the $500,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 1.
The favorite, he holds off Giant Oak by three-quarters of a length.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017