Casino Host, with a well-timed ride by John Velazquez, closed with determination on the outside to post a half-length win in the $400,000 Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds April 1.
Smart Bid, who has claimed both of his graded stakes wins over the Fair Grounds turf course, will try to defend his Mervin H. Muniz Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) title against nine others in the $400,000 turf race on April 1
Classy 6-year-old Smart Bid nailed pacesetter Mr. Vegas on the wire to score as the favorite in the $122,500 Fair Grounds Handicap (gr. IIIT) Feb. 25.
Mr. Vegas set a comfortable pace and had enough left in the stretch to defeat Dubious Miss in the $100,000 Colonel E. R. Bradley Handicap (gr. IIIT) Jan. 21 at Fair Grounds.
Eight-year-old gelding Dubious Miss has been close to winning graded stakes numerous times on Fair Grounds' turf course, and he will be given another shot Jan. 21 when he takes on seven in the Col. E. R. Bradley Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends