Casino Host, with a well-timed ride by John Velazquez, closed with determination on the outside to post a half-length win in the $400,000 Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds April 1.
Smart Bid, who has claimed both of his graded stakes wins over the Fair Grounds turf course, will try to defend his Mervin H. Muniz Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) title against nine others in the $400,000 turf race on April 1
Classy 6-year-old Smart Bid nailed pacesetter Mr. Vegas on the wire to score as the favorite in the $122,500 Fair Grounds Handicap (gr. IIIT) Feb. 25.
Mr. Vegas set a comfortable pace and had enough left in the stretch to defeat Dubious Miss in the $100,000 Colonel E. R. Bradley Handicap (gr. IIIT) Jan. 21 at Fair Grounds.
Eight-year-old gelding Dubious Miss has been close to winning graded stakes numerous times on Fair Grounds' turf course, and he will be given another shot Jan. 21 when he takes on seven in the Col. E. R. Bradley Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- French Derby Duo Face Off at Longchamp
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell