Graded winner Mr. John's first winner, Zoomin Bayou, won July 5 at Evangeline Downs in her initial start.
Only hours after landing in Dubai at 2:30 a.m. local time, Todd Pletcher was at Nad Al Sheba racetrack to watch his World Cup hope Harlan's Holiday work under the lights.
Starlight Stable's Harlan's Holiday, winner of the Florida Derby (gr. I) last year, made a triumphant return to Gulfstream Park Sunday, taking an allowance race by 1 3/4 length in preparation for the $500,000 Donn Handicap (gr. I) on Feb. 22.
A more focused Mr. John takes the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker for his first stakes win. Meanwhile, Easyfromthegitgo beat Pass Rush by a neck in the $250,000 Iowa Derby.
The Maryland Jockey Club lists 12 horses as possible entrants for the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), led by Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Monarchos.
The talent pool of this year's crop of 3-year-olds runs deep, as witnessed over the last few weeks in major Kentucky Derby (gr. I) prep races. An armada of lesser crafts set out April 21 at Keeneland for the Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) to test the waters one final time before the main event takes place at Churchill Downs in two weeks. Instead of a boat race, the majority of them found choppy seas and roiling water that all but grounded their Derby dreams on the rocks. Just the opening of the starting gate alone had several starters bailing instead of sailing.
If you heard a shot ring out at Aqueduct on March 18, it was just another of those Benny and Buzz bullets that have been known on occasion to blast a hole in the wind. The latest speeding bullet from the Benny Perkins Jr./Buzz Chace arsenal is Richly Blended, a son of Rizzi who left his field for dead in the $200,000 Gotham Stakes (gr. III).
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner